FIELD TRIP: Hiking Red Top Mountain State Park, Georgia - May 2019

I was visiting Atlanta for a work conference and have a dear friend who had recently moved there so we met up and did a little exploring in Red Top Mountain State Park

We had planned to camp, but it was a rainy day (and neither of us are super into camping) so we just spent a few hours there swimming in the lake and walking around. It has been some time (almost 2 years!) since we were there - I'm very behind on my blog posts - so I don't remember a lot of the details, but I wanted to share some of my photos. 

Here's the little beach:

 

And the trail map. I believe we walked the Iron Hill Trail which took us along the edge of Lake Allatoona. We saw almost no other people - likely because of the drizzly weather.

Thinking back, I'm remembering marveling at how many different kinds of green there were. That was my experience the last time I visited Georgia as well - especially coming from Southern California! Against the red earth, it was beautiful. And it was just so incredibly nice to swim in the lake. There have only been a handful of times in my life that I've enjoyed lake swimming and this was one of them. I'm sure the company helped. :) 

 








Tulip Poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera)






Comments