White Point Tide Pools, San Pedro, CA - February 2018

For my birthday this year I arranged a little tide pool trip with friends preceded by lunch in San Pedro. I picked White Point/Royal Palms Beach because it had been a while and Abalone Cove/Sacred Cove (my favorite tide pool spot) has been closed lately due to constant land movement and falling rocks.

This area also has a really rich history which is described on their website.

It had been a while since I'd visited White Point (looking back now I see it was 2011!).

Here's where we were:



I was with quite a few friends who had never been "tide pooling" or at least hadn't considered it that and I really enjoyed sharing what I know and hearing their discoveries and questions.

My favorite part about White Point is that there are these big shelves of rock where the tide pools are. They allow for more permanent settlement of tide pool creatures than when the rocks are more mobile/moveable.




Barnacles and chiton

Barnacles and shell from striped short crab

Tube snails

One new discovery of the day is that we saw a lot of these white patches on the rocks.


Some anemone and chiton there too

I thought maybe it was some kind of encrusting sponge or algae of some sort, but it turned out to be the bottom part of an oyster after the top and animal (after death) have washed away. Pretty cool!

View from the parking area.

Catalina in the distance


This day when we were leaving we also saw a couple of dolphins swimming by. I even caught one on camera.


Every time I plan this kind of outing I always think "We have to do this more often!" and this time was no exception.  Great day outside with some great people!

More of my photos from other trips to White Point here.

Comments