Wildflowers and hiking in Malibu, CA (Circle X and Sycamore Canyon) - March 2017

Each year I try to make it out to the annual wildflower bloom somewhere in Southern California. This year my schedule just didn't allow a long trip, but I still wanted to see some color so I headed out to Malibu with my friend and frequent excursion buddy, K.

We decided to start out at Circle X Ranch since I'd read somewhere that there were wildflowers there and I'd never been to this park. Here's where we were:



Turned out to be quite hot and while the trail started in shade, it quickly become full sun and a bit on the edge of the mountains with few wildflowers so after a short time K and I decided to head back down to PCH and drive a little farther to Sycamore Canyon in Point Mugu State Park.

Here are some photos I snapped during our short stop at Circle X.






And here's where we ended up next:



The last time I'd been there was in November 2014 and that time I was shocked at how bare and brown the hills were.

This day, there was so much fog - even as the day wore on. This coolness was much appreciated after the heat higher up in the mountains and it gave the area an eerie quality that was very cool when paired with the brightness of the wildflowers.





We didn't see the blankets of wildflowers covering the hills as I've seen in other areas, but there was quite a variety of colors and flowers.




Indian Paintbrush (Castilleja)


 And even an interesting beetle (love the name!):

Diabolical Ironclad Beetle (Phloeodes diabolicus)

A very pleasant day wandering around the hills of Malibu. Check out more of my photos of Sycamore Canyon in the album here.


Comments