Hiking Solstice Canyon after the rains, Malibu, CA - February 2017

It had been way too long since I'd gotten outside to reset, explore and take in the sights so T and I headed out to Solstice Canyon in Malibu. I really enjoy this hike because you can take the high road - Rising Sun Trail - which is a bit strenuous (with fantastic views of the canyon) or the low road - Solstice Canyon Trail - for a relaxing shady stroll.

Here's where it is:



(Parking is free but sometimes gets full. There are restrooms in the parking lot.)

I've hiked these trails quite a few times, but this time felt different because we'd had some nice rains and everything was so green! With a drought that has lasted for years and seems to be the new normal I'd never seen the hills so green and saturated. It was refreshing.







It looked like parts of the trail had been damaged by recent rains but it was still fine for hiking the day we were there.


And although more blocked off than I'd seen it before, the waterfall was flowing nicely.


There were many wildflowers along the trail





and we even spotted this pair of Acorn Woodpeckers on a granary tree.



All in all a very nice quick trip outdoors.



See more of my photos from Solstice Canyon in the album.



Comments