Snorkeling at Kahekili Beach Park, Maui - November 2011

The day after the wedding there was a planned beach day for all of the guests to get together and enjoy some sun, sand and snorkeling at Kahekili Beach Park, a short walk from the hotel.

Here's where we were:


View Larger Map

One of the families was staying at a condo which had come with some snorkel gear and a couple of people had their own gear so we just took turns going out into the water.

Unlike for our choppy morning at Molokini and windy afternoon at Black Rock, this day the water was as smooth as ice and Kahekili is the type of place where the reef is straight below you instead of coming off the land so there's not much chance the waves would push you into the reef anyway. Again, you can literally just swim out a bit and voila! - reef wonders galore!

I had a great time floating around looking at all of the amazing fish. I saw many of what is designated as the official fish of Hawaii, the Reef triggerfish or, in Hawaiian, humu­humu­nuku­nuku­āpua'a - humuhumu for short! It's this colorful little guy . . .

Reef (or Wedgetail) Triggerfish (Rhinecanthus rectangulus)
Here are some others . . .

The large one is a Unicorn Fish (Naso brevirostris)


I'd gone out a couple of times and hadn't yet seen a sea turtle so I took one last trip out and I also took another underwater 35mm camera. I was swimming along and all of a sudden I looked down to see this . . .

Green Turtle (Chelonia mydas)
After watching him eat for a bit I turn around to head to another area and there was another turtle right in front of me about 10 feet away!

Green Turtle (Chelonia mydas)
Priceless!!

After a day of swimming and sunning we were rewarded with this amazing sunset. What a life!


To see more photos from my trip to Maui, check out my Flickr set.


Comments