Out of context birds. . . Winter 2010

Just a quick post because I thought this deserved mentioning.

A friend of mine who lives in Vegas was at a store and encountered a Roadrunner in the parking lot. Maybe this is a common occurrence, but it's the first time I've heard of it. I'd love to see a Roadrunner. Here's the photo she got:


Greater Roadrunner
photo by R. S.

Recently, I also had a uncommon urban bird spotting. I was sitting at a manmade turtle and koi pond in the Miracle Mile area of Los Angeles and in flew a Great Egret, landing on the balcony of a building nearby. After hanging out there for a while, it flew down by the bench where I was sitting with a friend and walked around a bit. Then it approached the pond and dove in suddenly, catching a fish! I was really surprised. Unfortunately, I did not have my camera on me, but my friend K snapped these shots.



Check out K's blog, Kitty Cattaraugus: a MN girl in LA and other nonsense. She even posted a little video of the egret here.



Comments