Tide Pools at Malibu Lagoon - February 2009

I took another trip with friends to the tide pools and this time we decided to visit a beach in Malibu.


View Larger Map


It was a sort of birthday trip. I had never been to tide pools outside of those at the Palos Verdes peninsula. These were different. The tide pools were created by the rocks at the bottom, not by rocky land - which seems to support different kinds of tide pool creatures. The tide that day was .5 ft. We didn't see as many starfish or urchins, but I saw my first sea hare and chiton and - the star of the day - an octopus! A two-spot (octopus bimaculatus) to be exact. Compare my photo (below) with one I found online. I guess that's a common posture for it. In any case, it was great! I never wanted to leave.

Here are some of my favorite shots. . .

starburst anemone (Anthopleura sola)

and another

hermit crab, blueband hermit I think (Pagurus samuelis)

Two-Spot Octopus! (octopus bimaculatus)


Great Egret (Ardea alba)


California Seahare (Aplysia californica)

Chiton


TRJ took this one.

Click here for more of my photos from this location.

Comments